You may already know I have posted an article on gadgets problem (not working issue) and showed how to: solve settings.ini for gadgets, restore gadgets and registry fixing. But that article actually did not solve all the problems of gadgets because it was on not working issue for gadgets. There is another issue for gadgets problem which is called the damaged gadgets. Damaged gadgets problem will show your gadgets but doesn’t work properly. Such as: clock gadget with black background and have only a minute hand, calendar gadget won’t show you anything etc. So what we should do for solving it? Just repair? Just reinstall gadgets again? NO we have to be more aware to installing third party gadgets and should not blame on Microsoft as those gadgets are not given by them but from a trusted party.
Solve Your Damaged Gadgets :
Before starting to solve damaged gadgets,
1. End all running gadgets on your desktop. To do so
Click on start >search gadgets>select view list of running gadgets> remove running gadgets one by one
2. Select Sidebar icon in the system tray>choose Exit. (If sidebar remains on system tray)
A new window could come asking Exiting confirmation message and select Yes
3. Right-click on Taskbar>start task manager>select process tab> select sidebar.exe>end process and then close it. (If sidebar.exe remains on process).
Resetting the Sidebar :
Paste the following words in Run bar:
Where you should see Settings.ini and a folder named gadgets.
- Rename both folder and file or create a backup those files elsewhere (My recommendation is to rename those such as: gadgets_old and settings_old.ini). do not close the this explorer.
- Now re-launch Sidebar.exe from Start Task Manager>Process tab>file>new task (run…)>type sidebar.exe>hit ok
- You’ll notice that sidebar.exe is running again in task manager.
- You’ll also notice that new Settings.ini and folder gadgets are created immediately.
If your problem is not fixed with Resetting the Sidebar then read the next part.
Registry Editing :
Please, before acting on this part backup your registry and do that whenever you are changing and editing Registry.
Do as follow
- Start > Run > Regedit
- See carefully, is there any sub-key between Zones and sub-key 0. If so, delete it.
- Restart your computer and verify how your Gadgets are being displayed successfully.
Zone. (Sub-key “ . “ under Zone) Registry key deleting
- Stop the sidebar.exe process (as I explain in the very beginning of this article to stop sidebar.exe).
Delete this key: HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionInternet SettingsZones.
- Restart sidebar process
If your problem is not fixed with Registry changing and editing then read the next part.
Re-lunch msxml3.dll, scrrun.dll and jscript.dll by Dll Register Server :
Often by virus, system errors or using unsigned (not certified) program the Register of Dll forgets about some dll files. So in this part I will describe how can we remind the Dll-register that it has forgotten about some dll files which are needed for Gadgets.
1. Open an Admin Command Prompt window. Follow any of this one process.
- Start>All Programs>Accessories>Command Prompt
- Start>run>type cmd>hit ok
2. In the Command Prompt window, type the following command and press ENTER:
3. Similarly, run these commands:
You should see the DllRegisterServer in <filename> succeeded message for each command executed.
4..Restart your system or Logoff and login back to your user account and see if the Gadgets display correctly.
NB: Stop sidebar.exe before you acting on any of my following process and restart sidebar.exe after done each of my process.
Excellent … Solve… Thank you Very much………….
very useful, thank you !
OH MY GOD!!
that’s it!! tank u very much my friend! u r expert! MR SPECIAL!
Thank u veryyyyyyyyy much … with this solution finally I could fix my yahoo massenger problem that related to typing and my gadget too … anyway your great .
I also had the same problem as iman, and I could fix it 🙂 🙂 🙂
So thank you very much 😉
You are GREAT!
thanks a lot,
Thumbs up to you!!!
i put gadgets in my laptop and it stop working wht could cause tht
Your gadgets stop working and you can again active them through my two posts
part -2: https://www.techgainer.com/solve-windows-7-vista-gadget-problems-damages-errors-part-2/
written on gadgets.
There are some usual causes for “gadgets stop working”:
1. Most of the problems begin when we or some software changes the security settings of “Documents and settings” (from local drive C: or the partition of Windows OS) which is hide by our system or OS.
2. If you clean your unnecessary(to you) files by an unauthorized software.
3. If you clean your registry by that kind of software.
4. There is a file named settings.ini for gadgets, after installing extra gadgets it modifies that settings.ini even it could change that *.ini file (so backup settings.ini).
5. If someone delete the “gadgets” folder.
6. Some gadgets contain virus codes.
If you still have curiosity on how the gadgets stop working then you are welcome and just notify me through mail or comments.
I remember trying the first fix a while back and it didn’t work, so I removed IE9 from my laptop.
Now, would the 2nd fix you mentioned work with Vista x64? and are they the same steps? because I’m not too keen on messing with the registry when I’m not sure about the results.
Any suggestions appreciated!
Yes, they are the same steps. Don’t worry about the messing with registry and backup your registry before doing any major changes. Just follow the link and back it up by your Windows OS (without using any third-party software)….
Hi,im fifthteen here.am having the same problem with my gadgets.i just reformated my laptop just because slow performance and this gadget problems thinking that it is caused by virus. but the next day after formating i experiencing back this problem with my gadgets.the same problems such as clock with black background. i am using windows 7 professional. please guide me based on this windows as im confused with the steps above.
solved finally, u’re reli my god!!!! recommend+99999999999!!
I have the problem in my Win7 : damaged gadgets & damaged Yahoo messenger .
This procedure solved the prblems .
Thanks Ashraaf .
its really works….thakyou for ur great job……..
I’ve done all the steps but my calendar is still not working , same fully orange .
Could this issue may be generated by a recently installed antivirus / firewall ?
After reading plenty of of your blogposts I staleness say i launch this fact one to mostly be top notch.
I soul a weblog also and require to repost a couple of shears of your
articles on my own diary site. Should it be alright if I use this because eternal I own testimonial your
web blog or create a inward unification to your article I procured that the snipping out
of If not I realise and could not do it without having your tolerance .
I change accumulation scarred this article to sound and
zynga calculate intended for remark. Anyway realize it
I really appreciate this post. I are searching everywhere for this!
Thank goodness I found it on Bing. Youve made my day! Thank you again
Is there any way to exclude gadgets from “security” zone?
For example, to add a new reg key to exclude all gadgets (or specific gadget) from zone 0.
I don’t need that ridiculous windows security to be on.