“How to give icon to my USB or any other removable drive/device” is a common question among people. This means that when you will plug your pen drive to any computer, that computer will show your desired icon or a thumbnail beside the device. But the way of changing the icon of your USB device is very easy though many people don’t know it! So I wrote a basic and easiest way to do this job. No software or tool is required. You just need your icon file, a text editor(Notepad). Lets take the tour.
How to change icon of your removable disk :
1. Before giving custom icon, your USB icon will be default according to your windows theme. My one was as below :
2. Now from menu bar(Menu bar is located at the top left side of your explorer. If you don’t see menu bar, go to Organize > Layout > Mark Menu bar), go to Tools > Folder Options. Now go to View tab.
3. Find out the option “Hide extension for known file types“. If it is checked, then uncheck it. It should look like below.
4. Then click Apply and Ok.
5. Now enter into your USB device. You have to make a new text file here. To do that, right-click on your mouse. From right-click menu, go to New > New Text document.
6. Now rename your text document from “New text document.txt” to “autorun.inf”.
7. After renaming the autorun.inf file should be look as above.
8. Now right-click on autorun.inf file and select edit. Then it will open with notepad. Copy and paste the following code into that notepad and save(replace existing file when saving) it.
<span style="color: #808080;">[autorun]</span>
<span style="color: #808080;">icon=rijans.ico</span>
9. Now you have to put an ico file(icon file which has *.ico extension) in the same place where your autorun.inf file is located. After puting ico file beside the inf file, rename the ico file into rijans.ico . Then your window will look like below.
10. Now you are done. Now to check, open your pen drive from computer then again plug to computer. Look your icon is changed. Note: 1. You have to use icon file. Not image. 2. You can use any icon you want. 3. If you have any image, then convert that image into ico file with icon creator software. 4. You are commended to use 256*256 ratio icon. 5. Your icon name and icon name in autorun.inf should be same. For example, if your icon name is techgainer.com.ico then the code should be as
1. You have to use icon file. Not image.
2. You can use any icon you want.
3. If you have any image, then convert that image into ico file with icon creator software.
4. You are commended to use 256*256 ratio icon.
5. Your icon name and icon name in autorun.inf should be same. For example, if your icon name is pcsfix.ico then the code should be as
6. If you don’t have icon or icon creator tool then download icon samples from vistaicons.com .
7. Your anti-virus may disturb you. Because anti-viruses treat autorun.inf file as virus assistant.
Attention: Do you want to give any name(even in your language) to your pen drive? Then proceed to Rename Your Pen Drive/USB With Any Name With Any Language In Any Font as You Want With Autorun.