“How can I disable or stop auto-run on my windows computer” is one of the most asked question on windows world. Because the most viruses and other types of malware are using windows’ autorun feature to spread from PC to PC via removable medias like USB Pen drives, Memory Cards, CD/DVDs etc. AutoRun is a feature by windows where windows try to run(while the drive/media is plugged) a program from a removable media via a file called autorun.inf which is stored on that removable media. Malware authors try to take advantage of this hole to spread their viruses. So at a point of time, everybody start to think about stopping this feature. So I was thinking to share about on how to do this job on windows XP, Vista and 7.
Stop AutoRun on Windows XP, Vista and 7 :
(Important: I have written another post on how to rename your USB Pen drive with any name, any language, any font.)
Disable AutoRun on Windows XP :
1. Go to Run. Then type gpedit.msc then press enter. Gpedit.msc is actually Group Policy Editor. Now in Group Policy Editor, do as I did in Windows 7 and Vista’s Group Policy Editor.
(Important: Do you know how to give your custom icon to your USB pendrive?)
Disable AutoRun on Windows Vista and 7 :
1. Go to Start Menu and search for gpedit.msc from search bar. (I already described how much it’s easy to find out any program on windows vista and 7).
2. Now in gpedit.msc I mean In local group policy editor, go to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > AutoPlay policies.
2. Now at the left side, click on Turn off auto play. Then mark “Enabled” and then “OK“.
3. Then you are done.
Other Thing You Can Also do on Windows Vista or 7 :
1. Go to Control Panel. Then click on AutoPlay.
2. Now choose your settings/actions when a type of disc will be inserted into your computer.
3. Now click save.
This means you can also disable autorun from control panel.
Those all about stopping autopaly/autorun on windows. If you have any problem, then you can leave comment.